Turn Off Automatic Updates on Samsung Galaxy A11 Smartphone?

jaugu...@verizon.net

Dec 22, 2022, 6:42:36 PM12/22/22
I bought a Samsung Galaxy A11 Tracfone back in September 2021.

Since then, my phone had three updates so far.

Note: I use my Tracfone to make and receive telephone calls when I
am not home. Once in a while, I may text or receive a text. I do NOT
use if for anything else (browse the web, etc.).

The phone settings has Automatic Updates turned on. However,
after an update, there is an issue. After the first update, I could NOT
answer a telephone call the normal way. Thank goodness, I found an
alternative. After the second update, that issue was resolved (I can
answer the telephone the normal way again).

Recently, there was a third update. Now when I use my Contacts
list to telephone someone, when I tap on the telephone icon, I have to
wait a few seconds before the call starts. Note: I can live with that now
because I am getting use to it.

I am AFRAID of the next update. Will there be another issue
afterwards?

I am thinking about turning OFF Automatic Updates, but wonder
if a future update may be a patch for a vulnerability?

What do you think?

Thank You in advance, John

Mayayana

Dec 23, 2022, 8:33:02 AM12/23/22
<jaugu...@verizon.net> wrote

| I bought a Samsung Galaxy A11 Tracfone back in September 2021.
|
| Since then, my phone had three updates so far.

I have a TCL Tracfone. I always try to remove and disable
eveything I can, since I normally only use it for phone calls.
But update announcements are still coming through. When I
turn it on now I see two messages. One tells me to click
here to update my location. The other tells me to click here
to install the downloaded update. I ignore both. Sorry I don't
have a better solution. I just don't need a cellphone very much
and I figure life's too short to figure out all the secrets of
such a sleazeball OS on such a limited, Lilliputian device.

jaugu...@verizon.net

Dec 23, 2022, 1:13:41 PM12/23/22

I decided to turn OFF automatic updates for now, but
to my SURPRISE, I could NOT find a way to do that via Settings!!!!

The only option I found was to turn off Automatic updates via WiFi.
I assume that if I turned that off, the updates would be downloaded over the
phone network.

Does anyone know where I can DISABLE Automatic Updates completely?

KenW

Dec 23, 2022, 1:45:04 PM12/23/22
Try this search android turn off automatic updates

KenW

Andy Burnelli

Dec 23, 2022, 4:36:54 PM12/23/22
KenW wrote:

>> Does anyone know where I can DISABLE Automatic Updates completely?
>>

> Try this search android turn off automatic updates

Instead of rudely telling the user to lmgtfy, which, by the way, is the
height of rudeness because it shows you don't know the answer but you still
felt the desperate need to insult the OP, why not tell him the answer?

*Quick: Can I stop, prevent or stave off the upcoming December update?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/udGDxJVcvxo>

Caveat: I just moments ago tested every command in that thread on my Galaxy
A32 5G but I do not have a Galaxy A11 to test for the OP; so I ask the OP
to run those commands and let the rest of us learn from him how it went.

Alan

Dec 23, 2022, 4:39:44 PM12/23/22
On 2022-12-23 13:37, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> KenW wrote:
>
>>>        Does anyone know where I can DISABLE Automatic Updates
>>> completely?
>>>

>> Try this search   android turn off automatic updates
>
> Instead of rudely telling the user to lmgtfy, which, by the way, is the
> height of rudeness because it shows you don't know the answer but you still
> felt the desperate need to insult the OP, why not tell him the answer?

It is no rudeness to suggest that someone search for that which is
easily found.

KenW

Dec 23, 2022, 4:52:17 PM12/23/22
I must have that person kill filed, for good reason I guess!!!!

KenW

KenW

Dec 23, 2022, 4:53:51 PM12/23/22
Many people have no clue about searching for a subject

KenW

Bill W

Dec 23, 2022, 5:29:05 PM12/23/22
On Dec 23, 2022, KenW wrote (in article

> Many people have no clue about searching for a subject

What you don't seem to realize is that it's not an easy task.
That means just searching for an answer won't easily find it.

If it was easy, you'd already know how to do it.
And you don't.

Besides, if you did know the answer, you would have told it to him.
In the end, all you proved was that you don't know the answer.

KenW

Dec 23, 2022, 5:56:00 PM12/23/22
On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 22:29:15 +0000, Bill W <not...@nowhere.com>
wrote:
I proved one thing, you are a fucking asshole

PLONK

KenW

KenW

Dec 23, 2022, 6:00:01 PM12/23/22
For not minding your own business

>I proved one thing, you are a fucking asshole
>
>PLONK
>

>KenW

KenW

Ken Blake

Dec 24, 2022, 9:56:17 AM12/24/22
wrote:

>On Dec 23, 2022, KenW wrote (in article
>
>> Many people have no clue about searching for a subject
>
>What you don't seem to realize is that it's not an easy task.

Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. It largely depends on two things:

1. What the subject to be searched for is.

2. How much the person searching know about how to search.

>That means just searching for an answer won't easily find it.

Sometimes true, but in my experience, for most people, it's relatively
rarely. In most cases, it's very easy to do the search and searching
quickly returns the informaion you're looking for.

Bill W

Dec 26, 2022, 12:12:52 PM12/26/22
On Dec 24, 2022, Ken Blake wrote (in article

>>What you don't seem to realize is that it's not an easy task.
>
> Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. It largely depends on two things:

The "lmgtfy" response is intended to be an insult.
Not only is it an insult, but it's intended to make "KenW" feel superior.

Yet, the person who responds with the "lmgtfy" is *always* inferior.
They *never* know the answer.

Do you really think "KenW" knows the answer?
(He doesn't even understand the question.)

> 1. What the subject to be searched for is.

What's always the case is the person who says "lmgtfy" *never* is a person
who answers any questions - which means even they never know the answer.

If they did know the answer, they could provide a few-word pointer.
And they can't. Worse. They never can.

> 2. How much the person searching know about how to search.

It's the nature of the "lmgtfy" person to be ignorant of the topic.
It's only intended as an insult.

But always from someone who doesn't even know the answer.
So it only points out the ignorance of the person who says it.

>>That means just searching for an answer won't easily find it.
>
> Sometimes true, but in my experience, for most people, it's relatively
> rarely. In most cases, it's very easy to do the search and searching
> quickly returns the informaion you're looking for.

There are cases where a question has been asked a billion times.
And there are cases where those questions which have been asked a billion
times have an easy answer that people are tired of answering for them.

But this question isn't even close to being one of them.

What the "lmgtfy" signified was a haughty insult from a person who himself
is ignorant of the answer. Otherwise, there would be an easy answer.

And there isn't.
In this case, anyone saying "lmgtfy" is just insulting for no good reason.

jaugu...@verizon.net

Dec 29, 2022, 1:13:30 PM12/29/22

>>> I have a TCL Tracfone. I always try to remove and disable
>>>eveything I can, since I normally only use it for phone calls.
>>>But update announcements are still coming through. When I
>>>turn it on now I see two messages. One tells me to click
>>>here to update my location. The other tells me to click here
>>>to install the downloaded update. I ignore both. Sorry I don't
>>>have a better solution. I just don't need a cellphone very much
>>>and I figure life's too short to figure out all the secrets of
>>>such a sleazeball OS on such a limited, Lilliputian device.
>>>
>>Hi,
>>
>> I decided to turn OFF automatic updates for now, but
>>to my SURPRISE, I could NOT find a way to do that via Settings!!!!
>>
>> The only option I found was to turn off Automatic updates via WiFi.
>>I assume that if I turned that off, the updates would be downloaded over the
>>phone network.

CONCLUSION:

BTW: Before I posted, I used google to search for the solution. Not
finding what I was looking for, I posted my request.

It finally occurred to me that the Android developers for this phone,
etc, does NOT want Automatic Updates to be disabled for security reasons in
the event a vulnerability is discovered.

After every update, I will check that I can use the phone (call &
receive a call) without an issue.

John

Mayayana

Dec 30, 2022, 8:26:42 AM12/30/22
<jaugu...@verizon.net> wrote

| It finally occurred to me that the Android developers for this phone,
| etc, does NOT want Automatic Updates to be disabled for security reasons
in
| the event a vulnerability is discovered.

Maddening, isn't it? I remember the days when updates
were occasional, optional, and came with detailed explanations.
On the bright side, at least it's not a Tesla, so you don't
have to worry about Elon updating your brakes while you're
on the highway.

KenW

Dec 30, 2022, 8:58:04 AM12/30/22
What does a car have to do with a cell phone ?
KenW

Jim S

Dec 30, 2022, 10:34:43 AM12/30/22
In article <news:tomoug$ltf2$1...@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<maya...@invalid.nospam> says...
Since preventing updates is as easy as running a single command, for
Mayayana and jaugustine to repeatedly complain that a single step is far
too "maddening" for them to do is not a fair judgment of the situation.

It just means running a single command to stop all updates is too much
effort on their part, that's all they're saying when ranting about it.

And that's fine - but what they should CORRECTLY be concluding is that
Android developers DID make it very easy to turn off all automatic updates.
--
Jim S

Joerg Lorenz

Dec 30, 2022, 10:56:34 AM12/30/22
Am 30.12.22 um 14:26 schrieb Mayayana:
Is this thread a loony bin?
You do not know anything about Teslas and even less about Android.
Updates on Android can be stopped indefinitely.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

David Oseas

Dec 30, 2022, 12:58:45 PM12/30/22
On 12/30/2022 5:26 AM, Mayayana wrote:

> On the bright side, at least it's not a Tesla, so you don't
> have to worry about Elon updating your brakes while you're
> on the highway.

Teslas don't update while on the highway. They only update over WiFi
and even then only when initiated by the owner from the console or Tesla
app.

Do some research before making snarky remarks!

David Oseas

Dec 30, 2022, 1:21:09 PM12/30/22
On 12/30/2022 9:58 AM, I wrote:

> Teslas don't update while on the highway.  They only update over WiFi
> and even then only when initiated by the owner from the console or Tesla
> app.

Just saw this on page 154 of my Model 3 Owner's Manual, which I wasn't
aware of:

<quote>
NOTE: On an as-needed basis, Tesla also sends software updates using a
cellular connection.[...] Model 3 must be in Park while the software is
being updated.
</quote>

Ken Blake

Dec 30, 2022, 3:12:03 PM12/30/22
I think what you're calling a "snarky remark" was only meant as a
joke.

Mayayana

Dec 30, 2022, 3:39:18 PM12/30/22
"Jim S" <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote

| Since preventing updates is as easy as running a single command,

And... Are you going to keep us in suspense? The question
was how to do it. And you're saying, "That's for me to know
and for you to find out." Let me see, where have I heard that before. :)

Mayayana

Dec 30, 2022, 3:45:39 PM12/30/22
"David Oseas" <doseas{nospam}@usa.net> wrote

| > Teslas don't update while on the highway. They only update over WiFi
| > and even then only when initiated by the owner from the console or Tesla
| > app.
| >

| Just saw this on page 154 of my Model 3 Owner's Manual, which I wasn't
| aware of:
|
| <quote>
| NOTE: On an as-needed basis, Tesla also sends software updates using a
| cellular connection.[...] Model 3 must be in Park while the software is
| being updated.
| </quote>

Take a look at this:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/caution-driving-while-firmware-is-updating.157616/

I have no doubt that it will get more intrusive. The majority of Tesla
drivers would probably have no problem with fully auto-updates. That
convenience is what they're paying for. There are a lot of people who
want to live like the Jetsons.

Joerg Lorenz

Dec 30, 2022, 4:33:59 PM12/30/22
Am 30.12.22 um 21:12 schrieb Ken Blake:
Given the experience with the update- and technology-agnostic author of
this remark I strongly believe the opposite.

Jim S

Dec 30, 2022, 5:31:11 PM12/30/22
In article <news:toni9l$onp8$1...@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<maya...@invalid.nospam> says...

> And... Are you going to keep us in suspense?

How can you be so wrong twice in a row?

First you say a simple command is "maddening" to type.
And then you say nobody told you about it, when everyone knows it but you?

What is wrong with you?

You don't even have to type it if that's what's so maddening to you.
A cut and paste of the one command already posted would suffice.

Why must I tell you what you should already know?
Why don't you read the thread before ranting endlessly about nothing?

If you can't even be bothered to read the thread before ranting that the
command which you were told about is "maddening" to type, then nothing I
can say after your rant will make the copying and pasting of that one
command less "maddening" to you.

What's maddening is people who are stupid.
People incapable of reading the answer which was long ago in this thread.
People like you.
--
Jim S

Jim S

Dec 30, 2022, 5:36:28 PM12/30/22
In article <news:rehuqh9qfdik2uin7...@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
<K...@invalid.news.com> says...

>>Do some research before making snarky remarks!
>
> I think what you're calling a "snarky remark" was only meant as a
> joke.

What's really happening is the person who made that "joke" is an idiot.
He literally said typing a single line of a command is "maddening" to him.
What's "maddening" is people who rant that typing a line is too much work.
--
Jim S

David Oseas

Dec 31, 2022, 2:15:11 PM12/31/22
On 12/30/2022 12:45 PM, Mayayana wrote:

> Take a look at this:
> https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/caution-driving-while-firmware-is-updating.157616/

I don't have enough info to comment on someone else's experience. I can
only quote you what is in the owner's manual and on Tesla's website.

See, for example, "Can I drive my vehicle during a software update":
https://www.tesla.com/support/software-updates#tesla-accordion-v2-2223-can-i-drive-my-vehicle-during-a-software-update

I think we've gone off topic long enough... let's get back to Android